How would a student go about seeing the counselor?

The counselor is available to see students throughout the school day. Students should fill out a counselor's slip at their convenience located in all classrooms and the counseling office. The slip should be turned in to the counseling office by the student or his teacher. Students will be sent a pass to come to the counseling office. Teachers have the final decision regarding releasing a student from their class. Sometimes circumstances will arise that take priority over a requested meeting. If so, the student will be seen as soon as possible.

How does a student order a copy of his or her high school transcript?

Click here to easily get & send transcripts

Can my child make a schedule change?

During the first week of a school semester, students may change their schedules only with the written approval of the teacher of the current course, the teacher of the new course, the counselor, and a parent. The following reasons are the only considerations given to changing a student's schedule after the individual conference of the previous year:
• To meet a graduation requirement (i.e. make up a failed course)
• To meet a documented college admission requirement (written documentation must be provided)
• A medical reason verified by a detailed, written medical doctor's report
• By teacher recommendation that the class is inappropriate for the student

Please note that requests for specific teachers, lunch periods, and teacher changes will not be honored unless, severe, extenuating circumstances are presented to the principal. Communication involving parents, student, and teacher is encouraged.

Where does my child get a work permit?

Work permits are obtained after a student has accepted a job. The employer should complete a white "Intent to Employ" card. This must have every box completed before turning it in to the Counseling Office. Work permits may be picked up in the Counseling Office from Lois Gollmer.

When should my child begin to obtain letters of recommendation for college applications?

Letters of recommendation are an important procedure in the college admission process. It is never too early to start preparing for the college application process. Our seniors are encouraged to provide a resume with information to their teachers at least two weeks prior to their due date to allow appropriate time to process the letter.

What happens if my child does not pass the ISTEP+ ECA exams?

If your child does not pass the ISTEP+ ECA exams, remediation will be recommended. Students will have the opportunity to re-take the exam after participating in remediation activities. Exam retakes are offered two times a year in the junior and senior years. In the unlikely event that your child does not pass the test, there is a waiver process that has strict requirements provided by the Department of Education.

How do I enroll my child?

Make an appointment with the counseling secretary and bring the following documents to the main office:
• Birth certificate
• Proof of residency
• Immunization records
• Former school records or transcript
• Custody or guardianship paperwork
• ISTEP scores if available